3 Top Tips when applying for a UK Expansion Worker sponsor licence

18 Sep 2023, 44 mins ago

In April 2022, the UK government introduced the Expansion Worker sponsor licence to provide a way for successful overseas businesses to expand into the UK and transfer up to 5 overseas employees. In this blog, we provide three Top Tips you need to know when applying for an Expansion Worker sponsor licence. 

TIP 1: Ensure that the Expansion Worker sponsor licence is appropriate for you 

To apply for a UK Expansion Worker sponsor licence, the overseas business must have “a UK footprint”. However, it cannot be active and trading in the UK on the date of application. Having a UK footprint includes registering a branch or subsidiary with Companies House or having business premises in the UK. 

If the business is active and has started trading in the UK, you cannot apply for an Expansion Worker sponsor licence, and instead you may wish to consider a Skilled Worker, or Senior or Specialist Worker sponsor licence. 

TIP 2: Ensure that the employee you wish to transfer meets the requirements

As part of the sponsor licence application, you will need to appoint an individual who will initially be transferred to the UK to expand the overseas business. To be appointed, the individual will need to meet various requirements, including:

  • Skill level: The appointed individual needs to be a senior manager or specialist employee of the overseas organisation.
  • Employment: They must be employed by the overseas company, and they must have held this employment for at least 12 months prior to the date of application. In some cases, they may be exempt from the latter requirement, for example, if they are due to earn £73,900 or more per year.
  • Salary: The individual will need to be paid at least the minimum annual salary, which is currently £45,800 for this type of a role, or the specified going rate for their particular occupation code (job type code), whichever is higher.

TIP 3: Check your emails

Once the application has been submitted, the Home Office may contact you by email to request further information or documents, and they will likely include a deadline to provide the same. At times, these emails arrive in spam folders; therefore, it is very important to regularly check all email folders so that you can respond to the Home Office in a timely manner.

How Gherson can assist

Gherson’s Immigration Team are highly experienced in advising on UK visa matters. If you have any questions arising from this blog, please do not hesitate to contact us for advice, send us an e-mail, or, alternatively, follow us on TwitterFacebookInstagram, or LinkedIn to stay-up-to-date.

The information in this blog is for general information purposes only and does not purport to be comprehensive or to provide legal advice. Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information and law is current as of the date of publication it should be stressed that, due to the passage of time, this does not necessarily reflect the present legal position. Gherson accepts no responsibility for loss which may arise from accessing or reliance on information contained in this blog. For formal advice on the current law please do not hesitate to contact Gherson. Legal advice is only provided pursuant to a written agreement, identified as such, and signed by the client and by or on behalf of Gherson.

©Gherson 2023