What is a sponsorship number?

25 Jan 2024, 50 mins ago

Most migrant workers will need to be sponsored to work in the UK. Their UK employers will need to be Home Office approved, and subsequently hold a sponsor licence in order to be able to sponsor overseas workers to come and work for their businesses in the UK. There are various factors that are considered by the Home Office prior to issuing a sponsor licence, and we refer you to our recent blog for further information.

All organisations that are granted sponsor licences will have been approved by the Home Office to sponsor overseas migrant workers. They use an electronic platform, called the Sponsor Management System to manage these licences and issue sponsorships to individuals. There are various factors that the Home Office will consider before issuing a sponsor licence, and there are additional responsibilities and duties that licence holders are required to adhere to once they have been issued one.

If you are a migrant worker who is in the process of obtaining sponsorship from a UK employer, you will need to be assigned a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS). This is an electronic document and will be assigned via the Sponsor Management System to the particular individual being sponsored. The CoS will include personal details of the individual being sponsored and key details of the job role they will be doing, should their visa application be successful. More importantly, the CoS will note the job title, description, the occupation code (SOC code), the salary, the hours worked and the number of years the employer intends to sponsor you for. Each of these will be assessed against the requirements of the particular UK work visa you are applying for, such as the going rate salary threshold against your job title.

The CoS will enable you to submit a UK work visa application. Once assigned, the CoS will include a certificate number and the sponsor licence reference number (identifying the UK employer that will be sponsoring you). Although the Home Office will have sight of the online Sponsor Management System, you will need to link the CoS to your visa application so that the Home Office can identify which CoS has been assigned to you and by which sponsor. To do this, you must include both the certificate number and the sponsor licence reference in your application. There will be a question asking for you to include both on the online form. It’s important to note that once the CoS is assigned, you will have three months from this date to submit your visa application.

How Gherson can assist

Gherson’s Immigration Team are highly experienced in advising on UK visa matters. If you have any questions arising from this blog, please do not hesitate to contact us for advice, send us an e-mail, or, alternatively, follow us on X, Facebook, Instagram, or LinkedIn to stay-up-to-date.

The information in this blog is for general information purposes only and does not purport to be comprehensive or to provide legal advice. Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information and law is current as of the date of publication it should be stressed that, due to the passage of time, this does not necessarily reflect the present legal position. Gherson accepts no responsibility for loss which may arise from accessing or reliance on information contained in this blog. For formal advice on the current law please do not hesitate to contact Gherson. Legal advice is only provided pursuant to a written agreement, identified as such, and signed by the client and by or on behalf of Gherson.

©Gherson 2023