Do I need to update my Health and Care visa if I want to take on additional work?

05 Oct 2023, 05 mins ago

The Health and Care visa allows you to work for the NHS, an NHS supplier, or in the adult social care industry. Whether you are able to undertake additional work will depend on a number of factors.

You can undertake additional paid work on a Health and Care Worker visa as long as you are still doing the job you are being sponsored for. You can also take on unpaid voluntary work.

You may need to apply to update your visa to do additional paid work. This will depend on the type of work you’re doing and the hours you’re going to work.

You can work for up to 20 hours each week for an employer other than your sponsor without updating your visa, provided that the work is:

  • in a shortage occupation; or
  • at the same level and in the same occupation code as the job you are being sponsored to do.

If the new job does not meet the above criteria, or you want to work for more than 20 hours per week in the additional job, you will need to update your visa.

To update your visa, your second employer will need to hold a sponsor licence and assign a new certificate of sponsorship to you. You will also need to send a letter with your application confirming that you wish to modify your visa.

How Gherson can assist

Gherson’s Immigration Team are highly experienced in advising on UK visa matters. If you have any questions arising from this blog, please do not hesitate to contact us for advice, send us an e-mail, or, alternatively, follow us on TwitterFacebook, Instagram, or LinkedIn to stay-up-to-date.

The information in this blog is for general information purposes only and does not purport to be comprehensive or to provide legal advice. Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information and law is current as of the date of publication it should be stressed that, due to the passage of time, this does not necessarily reflect the present legal position. Gherson accepts no responsibility for loss which may arise from accessing or reliance on information contained in this blog. For formal advice on the current law please do not hesitate to contact Gherson. Legal advice is only provided pursuant to a written agreement, identified as such, and signed by the client and by or on behalf of Gherson.

©Gherson 2023