Can I switch from UK Youth Mobility visa to Work visa?

19 Dec 2023, 58 mins ago

Embarking on a journey with a UK Youth Mobility visa opens a world of opportunities for young individuals aged 18-30 (and up to 35 for certain nationalities), allowing them to live, work, study and explore the UK for two enriching years. However, the inability to extend this visa poses challenges for those seeking a longer stay, especially for those hoping to acquire British citizenship one day.

One of the most viable options for Youth Mobility visa holders who are looking to extend their stay in the UK is switching to the Skilled Worker visa.

To make this transition successfully, several key steps and requirements must be met. First and foremost, applicants must be aged 18 or over and have been issued with a valid Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) for an eligible job from an approved UK employer.

Navigating the Skilled Worker route requires careful planning by the applicant and their employer. Job eligibility and salary threshold are pivotal factors. Special considerations apply to those with unique qualifications, such as PhDs, or those specialising in shortage occupations.

Successfully transitioning to a Skilled Worker visa will put you on a new five-year path towards settlement.  

How Gherson can assist

Gherson’s Immigration Team are highly experienced in advising on UK visa matters. If you have any questions arising from this blog, please do not hesitate to contact us for advice, send us an e-mail, or, alternatively, follow us on X, Facebook, Instagram, or LinkedIn to stay-up-to-date.

The information in this blog is for general information purposes only and does not purport to be comprehensive or to provide legal advice. Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information and law is current as of the date of publication it should be stressed that, due to the passage of time, this does not necessarily reflect the present legal position. Gherson accepts no responsibility for loss which may arise from accessing or reliance on information contained in this blog. For formal advice on the current law please do not hesitate to contact Gherson. Legal advice is only provided pursuant to a written agreement, identified as such, and signed by the client and by or on behalf of Gherson.

©Gherson 2023