Who Needs a Police Record Certificate for Their Visa Application?

27 Sep 2023, 08 mins ago

When it comes to applying for a visa to enter or stay in the United Kingdom, certain individuals are required to provide a police record certificate as part of their application process. This crucial document helps immigration authorities assess the applicant’s criminal history and determine their eligibility for a visa.

Applicants for Skilled Worker visas will need to apply for a criminal record certificate from any overseas country where they have resided for over 12 months in the past 10 years (whilst aged 18 or over), if the job role they are being sponsored for falls into certain SOC codes.

These occupations primarily relate to those working in public-facing sectors:

  • Social services: including (but not limited to) social workers, probation officers and welfare and housing officers
  • Healthcare: including (but not limited to) nurses, doctors, paramedics, pharmacists, opticians and dentists
  • Therapy: including (but not limited to) psychologists, counsellors and speech and language therapists
  • Education: including (but not limited to) teachers, childminders and teaching assistants

If you cannot obtain a criminal record certificate from a country, you must provide a detailed explanation of your attempts to obtain one. UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI) will evaluate your situation and decide whether to waive the requirement. Failing to provide an acceptable explanation may result in a refusal of your visa application.

Understanding whether you need a police record certificate for your UK visa application is crucial. Compliance with these requirements is essential for a successful visa application.

How Gherson can assist

Gherson’s Immigration Team are highly experienced in advising on with Indefinite Leave to Remain applications. If you have any questions arising from this blog, please do not hesitate to contact us for advice, send us an e-mail, or, alternatively, follow us on TwitterFacebookInstagram, or LinkedIn to stay-up-to-date.

The information in this blog is for general information purposes only and does not purport to be comprehensive or to provide legal advice. Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information and law is current as of the date of publication it should be stressed that, due to the passage of time, this does not necessarily reflect the present legal position. Gherson accepts no responsibility for loss which may arise from accessing or reliance on information contained in this blog. For formal advice on the current law please do not hesitate to contact Gherson. Legal advice is only provided pursuant to a written agreement, identified as such, and signed by the client and by or on behalf of Gherson.

©Gherson 2023