What visa do I need to work as a DJ in the UK?

15 Dec 2023, 14 mins ago

As a creative hub, the UK attracts talent from across the world, including those with a passion for music.

If you are a DJ looking to visit London to undertake paid activities on a longer-term basis, the Creative Worker visa would probably suit you best. To apply for this type of visa you need to have a job offer in the UK as a creative worker and meet other eligibility requirements.

In a similar way to the Skilled Worker visa, before you can apply for the Creative Worker visa and enter the UK to work, you will be required to secure sponsorship from a licensed sponsor.

When planning your application and entry date, it is suggested to apply no earlier than 3 months in advance of the day you are due to start working in the UK. If you are applying from outside of the UK, you a likely to receive a decision within 3 weeks from the date of attending your biometrics appointment, and in 8 weeks if you have submitted your application in the UK.

If you are looking for a shorter-term visa, you may consider the Permitted Paid Engagement (PPE) Visitor visa. As a PPE visitor, you would be able to stay in the UK for up to one month in order to participate in a permitted activity or event to which you have been invited by a UK-based organisation or client.

Alternatively, the Standard Visitor route may be more applicable to your scenario, if you are looking to perform at one of the Home Office approved permit-free festivals (https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigration-rules/-immigration-rules-appendix-visitor-permit-free-festival-list). Please ensure your selected location of performance is on the list prior to entering the UK on this type of visa.

If you are still unsure which visa type would be best suited for your circumstances, it is recommended to seek immigration advice prior to applying for a visa and entering the UK for your desired activities.

How Gherson can assist

Gherson’s Immigration Team are highly experienced in advising on UK visa matters. If you have any questions arising from this blog, please do not hesitate to contact us for advice, send us an e-mail, or, alternatively, follow us on TwitterFacebook, Instagram, or LinkedIn to stay-up-to-date.

The information in this blog is for general information purposes only and does not purport to be comprehensive or to provide legal advice. Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information and law is current as of the date of publication it should be stressed that, due to the passage of time, this does not necessarily reflect the present legal position. Gherson accepts no responsibility for loss which may arise from accessing or reliance on information contained in this blog. For formal advice on the current law please do not hesitate to contact Gherson. Legal advice is only provided pursuant to a written agreement, identified as such, and signed by the client and by or on behalf of Gherson.

©Gherson 2023