I am a self-employed personal trainer – what type of visa do I need to move to the UK?

13 Dec 2023, 21 mins ago

Embarking on a journey to take your skills as a self-employed personal trainer to the United Kingdom is an exciting endeavour. However, navigating the intricacies of immigration can be daunting. In this blog post, we will explore the visa options available to self-employed individuals like yourself and offer some insights into the process of making the UK your professional home.

The UK’s immigration system is designed to accommodate individuals with various skills and expertise, and as a self-employed personal trainer, you fall into a specific category that requires careful consideration.

  1. International sportsperson visa: This route replaced the Sportsperson (T2) visa and the sporting part of the Temporary Worker – Creative and Sporting visa (T5). Although this route is aimed at sportspersons and qualified coaches, it may be a good option for you to explore if you are personal trainer who is also a qualified coach. You may be eligible for this route if you meet the eligibility requirements, and your sport’s governing body endorses your application, confirming that: you are an elite sportsperson or qualified coach, you are internationally established, and that your work will contribute to the development of your sport in the UK at the highest level.
  2. Global Talent Visa: While primarily designed for individuals with exceptional talent in areas such as science, arts, humanities, engineering and digital technology, it is worth exploring if your achievements and recognition in the fitness industry align with the criteria for this visa.
  3. Skilled Worker: The Skilled Worker visa is traditionally employer-sponsored, making it less suitable for self-employed individuals. However, exploring potential collaborations with fitness-related organisations or gyms in the UK may open avenues for sponsorship.
  4. Ancestry Visa: If you have a grandparent born in the UK, you may be eligible for the UK Ancestry visa that will allow you to work, study and live in the UK for up to five years.
  5. Expansion Worker visa: If you are establishing a branch or subsidiary of your fitness business in the UK, the Expansive worker visa may be an option.

Changes in Immigration Policies and Professional Advice:

It is crucial to stay updated on any changes in immigration policies, as adjustments and new visa categories may emerge. The UK government periodically reviews and updates its immigration system to meet the evolving needs of its economy.

Navigating the immigration process can be complex, and seeking professional advice is highly recommended. Immigration experts and legal professionals specialising in UK visa applications can provide personalised guidance based on your unique circumstances.

Moving your self-employed personal training business to the UK involves careful consideration of visa options and compliance with immigration regulations. While certain visa categories may currently present challenges for self-employed individuals, staying informed about policy changes and seeking professional advice will be key to unlocking opportunities in the evolving landscape of the UK’s immigration system. As you embark on this exciting journey, thorough research and proactive planning will pave the way for a successful transition to the vibrant fitness industry in the United Kingdom.

How Gherson can assist

Gherson has extensive experience in all aspects of UK immigration law. If you have any questions arising from this blog, please do not hesitate to contact us for advice, send us an e-mail, or, alternatively, follow us on TwitterFacebook, Instagram, or LinkedIn to stay-up-to-date.

The information in this blog is for general information purposes only and does not purport to be comprehensive or to provide legal advice. Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information and law is current as of the date of publication it should be stressed that, due to the passage of time, this does not necessarily reflect the present legal position. Gherson accepts no responsibility for loss which may arise from accessing or reliance on information contained in this blog. For formal advice on the current law please do not hesitate to contact Gherson. Legal advice is only provided pursuant to a written agreement, identified as such, and signed by the client and by or on behalf of Gherson.

©Gherson 2023