How to Apply for a UK Visa Outside Your Country of Residence

06 Jun 2024, 49 mins ago

When applying for a UK visa, a question often arises as to whether you are able to apply from a country that is not your primary place of residence. This blog aims to address this question.

The default stance, as outlined in the Immigration Rules, dictates that applications for entry clearance must typically be made from the country where the applicant resides. However, exceptions exist, introducing flexibility into an otherwise rigid framework.

If no designated post exists in your country of residence, you may apply from an appropriate designated post outside of that country. For example, applicants from Andorra can apply through Spain. Similarly, for certain visa categories, such as Temporary Work – Creative Worker and International Sportsperson (in cases where the applicant wishes to come to the UK for up to 12 months) as well as for the Visitor visa category, entry clearance applications may be submitted in any visa application centre that accepts those types of applications, provided that you are legally present in the country or territory of your application. Additionally, if you are applying for a Temporary Work – Creative Worker or International Sportsperson visa (to enter the UK for a period of 12 months or less) outside of your country of residence, you need to be present in the country or territory of your application with the purpose comparable to the activity you are planning to undertake in the UK.

For other entry clearance applications, you should apply in the country where you currently reside. However, if you are applying for entry clearance under the Global Talent or Youth Mobility Scheme routes, you can also apply in countries or territories where you are permitted to stay for more than six months.

The term “living” in a country, though not exhaustively defined, encompasses more than just a physical presence. It implies a degree of lawful authorisation and a purpose beyond a short-term visit.

Understanding these nuances is important, as missteps can lead to delays or even refusals. With the right guidance, applying from outside of your country of residence can indeed be a viable option, provided that you are permitted to do so.

How Gherson can assist

Gherson’s Immigration Team are highly experienced in advising on UK Sponsor Licenses. If you have any questions arising from this blog, please do not hesitate to contact us for advice, or send us an e-mail. Don’t forget to follow us on XFacebookInstagram, or LinkedIn to stay-up-to-date.

The information in this blog is for general information purposes only and does not purport to be comprehensive or to provide legal advice. Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information and law is current as of the date of publication it should be stressed that, due to the passage of time, this does not necessarily reflect the present legal position. Gherson accepts no responsibility for loss which may arise from accessing or reliance on information contained in this blog. For formal advice on the current law please do not hesitate to contact Gherson. Legal advice is only provided pursuant to a written agreement, identified as such, and signed by the client and by or on behalf of Gherson.

©Gherson 2024