How do I update my details with the Home Office?

10 Jan 2023, 46 mins ago

You have been granted a UK visa, but what should you do if your personal details change? In this blog we discuss which details need to be reported to the Home Office and the different ways to make these reports.

Which details need to be reported?

Once your visa has been approved, if there are changes to your personal details you will need to report this to the Home Office. This includes changes to your:

·         Name 

·         Marital status

·         Nationality

·         Home address

·         Correspondence address

·         Mobile phone number

·         Email address

·         Identity document, such as your passport 

·         Dependants

·         Gender 

·         Facial appearance

·         Criminal record 

The Home Office advise that if there are other changes that you believe need to be reported, you can do so.

How do I report the change?

There are various ways to report changes to the Home Office. How you do this correctly will depend on what you are reporting.

Migrant Change of Circumstances (MCoC) Form

In some cases you will need to complete a MCoC form, providing the Home Office with the details of the change. The MCoC form must be posted to the Home Office with the supporting documents, if applicable.

You can use the MCoC form if there have been changes to your marital status, criminal record history etc.

Home Office online report

In some circumstances, you may be able to report changes to the Home Office online. You will need to complete an online form and you may be required to upload supporting evidence.

You can use the online form if there have been changes to your home address or your legal representative.

UK Visas and Immigration online account

If you have a UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) account and your most recent application was submitted through this portal, you will need to report changes through your UKVI account.

You can do so if there have been changes to your passport details, home address, email address, phone number etc.

Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) replacement application

If you have a BRP, you may need to apply for a new BRP when reporting certain changes to the Home Office. This will be applicable if you have changed your name, gender, facial appearance, nationality etc., because your BRP will need to be updated with these new details.

In these circumstances, you must apply for a new BRP within 3 months of the change. Failure to do so could result in serious adverse consequences, such as a fine of up to £1,000.00 or curtailment of your visa.

How Gherson can assist

Gherson’s Immigration Team are highly experienced in advising on UK visa matters. If you have any questions arising from this blog, please do not hesitate to contact us for advice, send us an e-mail, or, alternatively, follow us on TwitterFacebook, or LinkedIn to stay-up-to-date.

The information in this blog is for general information purposes only and does not purport to be comprehensive or to provide legal advice. Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information and law is current as of the date of publication it should be stressed that, due to the passage of time, this does not necessarily reflect the present legal position. Gherson accepts no responsibility for loss which may arise from accessing or reliance on information contained in this blog. For formal advice on the current law please do not hesitate to contact Gherson. Legal advice is only provided pursuant to a written agreement, identified as such, and signed by the client and by or on behalf of Gherson.

©Gherson 2023