How do I switch from my Graduate visa route to another work visa type?

29 Apr 2024, 32 mins ago

After your finish your studies and graduate, you may be looking to kick start your career in the UK. This blog covers the steps you will need to take to switch from a Graduate visa to a work visa.

The Graduate visa gives you permission to stay in the UK for at least another 2 years after successfully completing an eligible course in the UK. This timeframe provides time for ex-students to plan for their future. The most common pathway for Graduates looking to enter the workforce in the UK is to switch to a Skilled Worker visa.

To be eligible for a Skilled Worker visa, the applicant must receive a job offer from a UK employer who holds a valid sponsor licence. The job which you are offered must be eligible for the Skilled Worker visa, which can be checked using the 4-digit occupation code that your employer will supply. The job should align with your skillset, experience and qualifications, and you must meet the minimum salary requirement for your role. Additionally, the applicant must evidence their English proficiency either by providing an eligible English language test certificate or by holding an eligible degree that was taught in English. 

After you employer has issued you with a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS), you must apply for the Skilled Worker visa within 3 months of receiving it. The application process will involve the applicant supplying the Home Office with a wide range of documentation (valid passport, CoS, proof of English language proficiency, etc), paying the visa application and Immigration Health Surcharge fees and attending a biometrics appointment. Processing a visa switch normally takes about 8 weeks but can take longer in some situations.

Whilst the Skilled Worker route stands as the primary option for those on a Graduate visa to continue their residence in the UK, depending on your individual circumstances, you might be eligible for other work visas, such as the Health and Care Worker visa, a Senior or Specialist Worker Visa, or the Global Talent Visa, among others.

How Gherson can assist

Gherson’s Immigration Team are highly experienced in advising on UK visa matters. If you have any questions arising from this blog, please do not hesitate to contact us for advice, send us an e-mail, or, alternatively, follow us on XFacebookInstagram, or LinkedIn to stay-up-to-date.

The information in this blog is for general information purposes only and does not purport to be comprehensive or to provide legal advice. Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information and law is current as of the date of publication it should be stressed that, due to the passage of time, this does not necessarily reflect the present legal position. Gherson accepts no responsibility for loss which may arise from accessing or reliance on information contained in this blog. For formal advice on the current law please do not hesitate to contact Gherson. Legal advice is only provided pursuant to a written agreement, identified as such, and signed by the client and by or on behalf of Gherson.

©Gherson 2024