How can I transfer my ILR stamp to a Biometric Residence Permit?

12 Sep 2023, 25 mins ago

If you were previously issued with a stamp in your passport to evidence your Indefinite Leave to Remain (“ILR”) status, you can apply for a Biometric Residence Permit (“BRP”).

If your ILR stamp is in an expired passport, having a BRP will mean that you no longer need to travel with your expired passport as you will show your BRP at the border. It is also necessary to do so if your appearance has changed since your old passport was issued.

Applications are currently taking 6 months and you will need to evidence that you have been resident in the UK since you were granted ILR.

How Gherson can assist

Gherson’s Immigration Team are highly experienced in advising on UK visa matters. If you have any questions arising from this blog, please do not hesitate to contact us for advice, send us an e-mail, or, alternatively, follow us on TwitterFacebook, Instagram, or LinkedIn to stay-up-to-date.

The information in this blog is for general information purposes only and does not purport to be comprehensive or to provide legal advice. Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information and law is current as of the date of publication it should be stressed that, due to the passage of time, this does not necessarily reflect the present legal position. Gherson accepts no responsibility for loss which may arise from accessing or reliance on information contained in this blog. For formal advice on the current law please do not hesitate to contact Gherson. Legal advice is only provided pursuant to a written agreement, identified as such, and signed by the client and by or on behalf of Gherson.

©Gherson 2023