How can I return my old BRP?

26 Dec 2022, 59 mins ago

If you hold an expired BRP (for example, after a visa extension), or you were issued with a replacement BRP  (for example, because your name has changed), you must return your old BRP to the Home Office because it is no longer valid. You may be subject to a financial penalty of up to £1,000 if you fail to return your old BRP.

When your BRP has expired you should return it to UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI). You do not need to do this when your BRP is still in date, unless you receive specific instructions from UKVI asking you to do this.

If you are returning your BRP, you should:

  • cut the BRP in half
  • place it in a plain, windowless envelope
  • post it to the relevant address.

If you are returning the BRP from within the UK, you will usually need to send it to: BRP Returns, P.O. Box 195, Bristol, BS20 1BT.  If you are returning the BRP from outside of the UK you will usually need to send it to:  BRP Returns, Home Office, Conference House, Conference Avenue, Portishead Office Park, Portishead, Bristol. BS20 7LZ.

If you are in the UK and have made a further visa application, you should receive instructions on returning your BRP to UKVI when they send you the decision letter or email concerning your new application.

How Gherson can assist

Gherson’s Immigration Team are highly experienced in dealing with all aspects of BRP applications. If you have any questions arising from this blog, please do not hesitate to contact us for advice, send us an e-mail, or, alternatively, follow us on TwitterFacebook, or LinkedIn to stay-up-to-date.

The information in this blog is for general information purposes only and does not purport to be comprehensive or to provide legal advice. Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information and law is current as of the date of publication it should be stressed that, due to the passage of time, this does not necessarily reflect the present legal position. Gherson accepts no responsibility for loss which may arise from accessing or reliance on information contained in this blog. For formal advice on the current law please do not hesitate to contact Gherson. Legal advice is only provided pursuant to a written agreement, identified as such, and signed by the client and by or on behalf of Gherson.

©Gherson 2022