Gherson LLP’s ‘Friday FAQs’ –  ‘Your Application is NOT STRAIGHTFORWARD’ Message, and Rules for Working in the UK

22 Sep 2023, 01 mins ago

This week our immigration specialists from the Gherson LLP UK Inbound Immigration Team will be discussing the following topics:

  • I have received a message that my application is ‘Not Straightforward’. What should I do?
  • How can I work in the UK?
  • Am I allowed to work on a Dependant Partner visa?

I have received a message from the Home Office that the processing of my application ‘Has Not Been Straightforward’. What should I do?

You may have received this email from the Home Office because they need more time to consider your documents. You should contact the Home Office directly in order to understand the status of your application. Contact details for the Home Office can be found here:

I would like to come and work in the UK. How should I go about it?

In order to work in the UK legally as a foreign national, you need to obtain an immigration status allowing you to do so. If you are an EU national, and you were living in the UK before the 31 December 2020 (before the Brexit immigration regulations came into effect), you may be eligible to apply under the EU Settlement Scheme, which, if granted, allows you to work in the UK.

If the above does not apply, you will need to obtain a valid work visa to work in the UK. The most common UK work visa category is the Skilled Worker visa.

In order to qualify for a Skilled Worker visa, an individual is required to demonstrate that they:

  • Have received an offer of full-time employment in the UK from an organisation with a valid Sponsor Licence, and have been assigned a Certificate of Sponsorship by this UK employer;
  • Will be undertaking a sufficiently skilled role in the UK;
  • Will be paid in line with a minimum salary requirement; and
  • Are competent in the English language to a minimum level of B1 of the CEFR.

I have a Dependant Partner Visa – am I allowed to work in the UK?

As the holder of a Dependant Partner visa, you should be permitted to take up employment or self-employment in the UK, which includes setting up a business. Your visa conditions will be confirmed on your Home Office approval letter.

How Gherson can assist

Gherson’s Immigration Team are highly experienced in advising on UK visa matters. If you have not found an answer to your question, or if you would like to talk to us about your specific circumstances, please do not hesitate to contact us for advice, send us an e-mail, or, alternatively, follow us on TwitterFacebookInstagram, or LinkedIn to stay-up-to-date.

The information in this blog is for general information purposes only and does not purport to be comprehensive or to provide legal advice. Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information and law is current as of the date of publication it should be stressed that, due to the passage of time, this does not necessarily reflect the present legal position. Gherson accepts no responsibility for loss which may arise from accessing or reliance on information contained in this blog. For formal advice on the current law please do not hesitate to contact Gherson. Legal advice is only provided pursuant to a written agreement, identified as such, and signed by the client and by or on behalf of Gherson.

©Gherson 2023