04 Aug 2023, 26 mins ago

At Gherson we are excited to re-introduce our weekly column of ‘Friday FAQs’, where we will answer your most frequently asked questions.

This week our immigration specialists from the Gherson UK Inbound Immigration Team will discuss:

  • travelling with a UK Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) or Refugee Travel document;
  • travelling while your visa application is pending; and
  • switching from a Skilled Worker visa to a Global Talent visa.

Which countries can I visit with UK BRP or UK Refugee Travel document?

A BRP evidences your immigration status in the UK, it is not a travel document. A person’s UK immigration status does not necessarily entitle them to visa-free travel to other countries. Whether or not you require a visa to visit another country will depend on the destination country’s own immigration laws, and is usually dependent on your nationality (amongst other criteria). To determine whether you require a visa to travel to another country, you will need to consult with the Embassy or Consulate of the country you intend to visit.

Refugees are able to apply to the Home Office for a UN Refugee Convention Travel document, which operates similarly to a passport, in order to travel abroad. The Travel Document is usually granted for the duration of your current leave, and is valid for travel to all countries except the country you have sought asylum from. Whilst the Travel Document is issued by the Home Office, it does not entitle the holder to visa-free travel to the same countries as a British passport holder. You will need to consult with the Embassy or Consulate of the country you intend to visit, to determine if you need to apply for a visa to visit that country.

Can I travel outside the UK while my UK visa or immigration status application is pending?

UK immigration applications are treated as automatically withdrawn by the Home Office if you travel outside the UK.

Nationality applications, by contrast, are not treated the same way, and you are permitted to travel out of the UK whilst your application is pending.

Can I switch from a Skilled Worker visa to a Global Talent visa without leaving the UK?

It is permitted to switch visa categories from a Skilled Worker visa to a Global Talent visa from within the UK, provided you meet the requirements of a Global Talent visa. Dependants can also continue living in the UK under this route. The requirements include showing that you are recognised as an exceptional talent in your field.

How Gherson can assist

Gherson’s Immigration Team are highly experienced in advising on UK visa matters. If you have not found an answer to your question, or if you would like to talk to us about your specific circumstances, please do not hesitate to contact us for advice, send us an e-mail, or, alternatively, follow us on TwitterFacebookInstagram, or LinkedIn to stay-up-to-date.

The information in this blog is for general information purposes only and does not purport to be comprehensive or to provide legal advice. Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information and law is current as of the date of publication it should be stressed that, due to the passage of time, this does not necessarily reflect the present legal position. Gherson accepts no responsibility for loss which may arise from accessing or reliance on information contained in this blog. For formal advice on the current law please do not hesitate to contact Gherson. Legal advice is only provided pursuant to a written agreement, identified as such, and signed by the client and by or on behalf of Gherson.

©Gherson 2023