Does a Tier 5 Youth Mobility visa allow you to work in a permanent role in the UK?

05 Dec 2023, 46 mins ago

The Youth Mobility Scheme is an excellent way for young people to travel to the UK to live, study and work. Like all visas, it has conditions, some of which will be discussed in this post.

The Youth Mobility Scheme lets people aged 18 to 30 (and up to 35 for those from New Zealand) from certain countries enter and stay in the UK for up to 2 years. If you are from New Zealand, Australia, Canada, Monaco, San Marino or Iceland, you can apply for the visa outright, and Andorra and Uruguay will be added to this list on 31 January 2024. This also applies to you if you are a British overseas citizen, a British overseas territories citizen or a British national (overseas). You must enter the Youth Mobility Scheme ballot before applying if you are from Hong Kong, Japan, South Korea or Taiwan. You cannot apply if you have underage children who live with you, have children you are financially responsible for, or have been in the UK under this scheme in the past. As part of the application, you will also need to show that you can support yourself, and you might need a tuberculosis test, depending on the country you reside in. If you are from San Marino or Iceland, you will need additional documentation.

In addition to studying, the Youth Mobility Scheme also allows you to work under certain circumstances. You can, in fact, take up a permanent role, which can come in the form of a post offered by an existing company or a business you set up by yourself. If you are interested in being self-employed, there are certain conditions that must be met. You are not permitted to own the business premises, you must not work with equipment that is worth over £5,000 or have any employees working for you. You are also not allowed to work as a professional sportsperson.

It is important to adhere to the visa conditions and it may be difficult to understand if your particular circumstances attract any immigration restrictions. Therefore, it is always recommended to seek legal advice to ensure that you are compliant of the immigration rules at all times. 

How Gherson can assist

Gherson’s Immigration Team are highly experienced in advising on UK visa matters. If you have any questions arising from this blog, please do not hesitate to contact us for advice, send us an e-mail, or, alternatively, follow us on TwitterFacebookInstagram, or LinkedIn to stay-up-to-date.

The information in this blog is for general information purposes only and does not purport to be comprehensive or to provide legal advice. Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information and law is current as of the date of publication it should be stressed that, due to the passage of time, this does not necessarily reflect the present legal position. Gherson accepts no responsibility for loss which may arise from accessing or reliance on information contained in this blog. For formal advice on the current law please do not hesitate to contact Gherson. Legal advice is only provided pursuant to a written agreement, identified as such, and signed by the client and by or on behalf of Gherson.

©Gherson 2023