Can my family member join me in the UK on the Skilled Worker route?

20 Oct 2023, 59 mins ago

This blog will discuss the process that you will need to undertake if you would like your family member(s) to join you in the UK on the Skilled Worker route.

If you currently hold a Skilled Worker visa, you will be aware that the terms of your visa allow you to be in UK and undertake an eligible job with an approved employer.

If you would like your family member(s), such as your partner or child(ren), to join you in the UK they are welcome to apply as your ‘dependant(s)’. They will need to complete a separate application and their eligibility as a ‘dependant’ is subject to certain requirements.

A dependant partner or child is defined as:

  • Your husband, wife, civil partner or unmarried partner;
  • Your child under 18, including if they were born in the UK during your stay;
  • Your child over 18, if they are currently in the UK as your dependant.

Evidence of your relationship to your dependant(s) must be provided when making an application.

If you would like your partner to join you, it is important that you are able to prove that you are either in a civil partnership, or marriage recognised in the UK, or have been living together in a relationship for at least two years when you apply.

If you would like your child to apply to join you, they must currently be living with you. The exception to this rule is if your child is living away from home for full-time education, for example, at boarding school or university. Your child should also not be married or in a civil partnership to qualify as your dependant.

When applying, you will need to provide confirmation of their address, which can be evidenced in various ways, such as bank statements, credit card bills, a driving license, an NHS registration document or an official letter from their university or college.

It is important that you are able to prove that your dependant will have a certain amount of funds available to them in order to maintain themselves whilst they are in the UK. The current financial requirements are as follows:

  • £285 for your partner;
  • £315 for the first child; and
  • £200 for each additional child.

You will usually have to show proof of these funds when you apply, unless all of you are already in the UK and have been here on a valid visa for a minimum of 12 months, or your employer can certify your family’s maintenance during their first month in the UK.

Applying from outside of the UK:

If your partner and children are applying from outside of the UK, they must complete a separate application form and pay the necessary visa fees before they travel to the UK. They will need to prove their identity, either at a visa application centre, or by using the ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ app. A decision will usually be made within three weeks.

Applying from inside the UK:

If you want to extend or switch your Skilled Worker visa, please note that your partner or child(ren) will need to extend or switch their visas either at the same time as you do, or at a time before their current visas expire.

How Gherson can assist

Gherson’s Immigration Team are highly experienced in advising on UK visa applications. If you have any questions arising from this blog, please do not hesitate to contact us for advice, send us an e-mail, or, alternatively, follow us on TwitterFacebook, Instagram, or LinkedIn to stay-up-to-date.

The information in this blog is for general information purposes only and does not purport to be comprehensive or to provide legal advice. Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information and law is current as of the date of publication it should be stressed that, due to the passage of time, this does not necessarily reflect the present legal position. Gherson accepts no responsibility for loss which may arise from accessing or reliance on information contained in this blog. For formal advice on the current law please do not hesitate to contact Gherson. Legal advice is only provided pursuant to a written agreement, identified as such, and signed by the client and by or on behalf of Gherson.

©Gherson 2023