Can I work in the UK under an Unmarried Partner visa?

30 Nov 2023, 55 mins ago

If you are a British citizen or settled in the UK, you can apply to sponsor your unmarried partner to relocate to the UK with you.

If you are applying to enter to the UK or extending your stay in the UK as an unmarried partner of a British national, or a person who is present and settled in the UK (i.e. holds status under the EU Settlement Scheme or indefinite leave to remain), you may be wondering what you are permitted to do during your stay.

One of the advantages of this type of visa route is that it comes with a limited number of restrictions on the type of activities you are permitted to undertake during your stay. As such, unlike the requirements under the Skilled Worker route, you are permitted to work without having to secure sponsorship from a UK organisation/employer. The same applies if you decide to undertake further studies in the UK, as University sponsorship is also not required if you are in the UK under the unmarried partner visa.

Please note, however, that visa holders under the unmarried partner route are still required to meet the conditions/restrictions of their visa. Should you need further detailed analysis on your particular case, feel free to reach out to Gherson Solicitors LLP, where you can get expert legal advice tailored to your specific circumstances.

How Gherson can assist

Gherson’s Immigration Team are highly experienced in advising on UK visa matters. If you have any questions arising from this blog, please do not hesitate to contact us for advice, send us an e-mail, or, alternatively, follow us on TwitterFacebookInstagram, or LinkedIn to stay-up-to-date.

The information in this blog is for general information purposes only and does not purport to be comprehensive or to provide legal advice. Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information and law is current as of the date of publication it should be stressed that, due to the passage of time, this does not necessarily reflect the present legal position. Gherson accepts no responsibility for loss which may arise from accessing or reliance on information contained in this blog. For formal advice on the current law please do not hesitate to contact Gherson. Legal advice is only provided pursuant to a written agreement, identified as such, and signed by the client and by or on behalf of Gherson.

©Gherson 2023