Can I work if I hold a Family visa?

03 Jan 2023, 56 mins ago

FLR (M) stands for Further Leave to Remain (Marriage). This visa falls under the more general term of a ‘family visa’.

This means an application for permission to remain in the UK as the spouse or unmarried partner of a British national, or of a person who is present and settled in the UK (i.e. holds status under the EU Settlement Scheme or indefinite leave to remain).

Such applications are made from within the UK, when one is applying to extend their current grant of leave as the spouse or unmarried partner of a British national or one present and settled in the UK, or switching to this category from a different visa, also from within the UK.

Those on family visas benefit from the fact that this visa comes with few restrictions on what the visa holder may do whilst in the UK. For example, those who hold a family visa may work in the UK without the need for their company to sponsor them, they may study in the UK without the need for their University to sponsor them, and they may also choose to be self-employed.

The main restriction that is imposed with a family visa is that the holder may not benefit from ‘public funds’.

How Gherson can assist

Gherson’s Immigration Team are highly experienced in dealing with all aspects of Further Leave to Remain applications. If you have any questions arising from this blog, please do not hesitate to contact us for advice, send us an e-mail, or, alternatively, follow us on TwitterFacebook, or LinkedIn to stay-up-to-date.

The information in this blog is for general information purposes only and does not purport to be comprehensive or to provide legal advice. Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information and law is current as of the date of publication it should be stressed that, due to the passage of time, this does not necessarily reflect the present legal position. Gherson accepts no responsibility for loss which may arise from accessing or reliance on information contained in this blog. For formal advice on the current law please do not hesitate to contact Gherson. Legal advice is only provided pursuant to a written agreement, identified as such, and signed by the client and by or on behalf of Gherson.

©Gherson 2023