Can I visit the UK to get married?

18 Oct 2023, 48 mins ago

If you would like to come to the UK to get married, you will need to apply for a Marriage Visitor visa. This blog outlines the steps that must be taken in order to obtain this visa, such as the documents needed and eligibility requirements.

If you would like to get married in the UK, or register a civil partnership, you will need to apply for a Marriage Visitor visa, notwithstanding whether you fall into the  visa or non-visa national category. It is important to note that you must not be planning to stay or settle in the UK after your marriage or civil partnership.

You must also meet certain eligibility requirements:

  • Be aged 18 or over;
  • Be free to give notice of marriage, to marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK within 6 months of your arrival;
  • Be in a genuine relationship with your partner;
  • You will not live in the UK for extended periods through frequent or successive visits, or make the UK your main home;
  • Visit the UK for less than 6 months and plan to leave at the end of your visit;
  • Be able to support yourself during your trip, and be able to pay for your return or onward journey (or have sufficient funding from someone else to do so);
  • Have proof of any other activities that you want to do in the UK. More information on this can be found on the governments list of permitted activities for visitors;
  • Marry or enter into a civil partnership in the UK at a licensed venue.

It can also be helpful to supply the following information to help support your application:

  • Details of the marriage or civil partnership that you are intending on entering into, and proof that you have paid money for some of the ceremony costs.
  • Provide proof that you are planning to get married in the UK. This could be a booking confirmation, emails between yourself and the venue or other people involved in the wedding.

The Marriage or Civil Partnership visa is for the specific purpose of marriage, and is not intended to be used to:

  • Get public funds (benefits);
  • Bring in family members – they must apply separately;
  • Live in the UK for extended periods through frequent visits;
  • Extend your visa or switch to another visa;
  • Work – except for permitted activities related to your work or business overseas, such as attending meetings;
  • Study.

You must apply online before you come to the UK. You will need to book an appointment at a visa application centre to prove your identity and provide the necessary documents. The earliest you can apply is 3 months before you travel, and your decision will usually arrive within 3 weeks.

This visa costs £115.

If your partner is British or holds Indefinite Leave to Remain, please note that the applicable visa application would be as a Fiancée. Please see our recent blog for further information on this.

How Gherson can assist

Gherson’s Immigration Team are highly experienced in advising on UK visa applications. If you have any questions arising from this blog, please do not hesitate to contact us for advice, send us an e-mail, or, alternatively, follow us on TwitterFacebookInstagram, or LinkedIn to stay-up-to-date.

The information in this blog is for general information purposes only and does not purport to be comprehensive or to provide legal advice. Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information and law is current as of the date of publication it should be stressed that, due to the passage of time, this does not necessarily reflect the present legal position. Gherson accepts no responsibility for loss which may arise from accessing or reliance on information contained in this blog. For formal advice on the current law please do not hesitate to contact Gherson. Legal advice is only provided pursuant to a written agreement, identified as such, and signed by the client and by or on behalf of Gherson.

©Gherson 2023