Can I offer a permanent role to an individual on the Graduate route?

23 Aug 2023, 14 mins ago

The Graduate route offers international students the opportunity to stay and work in the UK for up to 2 years (or 3 years for doctoral students) after completing their studies. This route allows graduates to gain valuable work experience, explore job opportunities and contribute to the UK’s workforce and economy.

Graduate visa holders are able to undertake work at any skill level and there are no minimum salary requirements. Technically, there is no requirement for graduate visa holders to sign a fixed-term contract or a permanent contract. What is important is that if the graduate visa holder does not obtain some other form of work permit, then the employment relationship will terminate at the end of the visa period. Right-to-work checks should be carried out in the usual way before commencing work.

While the graduate route is not extendable, visa holders can switch from this route to the Skilled Worker route at any stage, provided they meet the relevant requirements. If an individual on the graduate route secures a skilled job offer from an employer that holds a valid sponsor license, they can apply for a Skilled Worker visa. This visa also grants the individual the ability to work in the UK and to bring family members.

How Gherson can assist

Gherson’s Immigration Team are highly experienced in advising on UK visa matters. If you have any questions arising from this blog, please do not hesitate to contact us for advice, send us an e-mail, or, alternatively, follow us on TwitterFacebookInstagram, or LinkedIn to stay-up-to-date.

The information in this blog is for general information purposes only and does not purport to be comprehensive or to provide legal advice. Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information and law is current as of the date of publication it should be stressed that, due to the passage of time, this does not necessarily reflect the present legal position. Gherson accepts no responsibility for loss which may arise from accessing or reliance on information contained in this blog. For formal advice on the current law please do not hesitate to contact Gherson. Legal advice is only provided pursuant to a written agreement, identified as such, and signed by the client and by or on behalf of Gherson.

©Gherson 2023