Can foreign students work in the UK after graduation?

26 Dec 2022, 32 mins ago

For many university graduates, the UK is an appealing place to start out their career.  Each year, significant numbers of overseas students look to either remain in or relocate to the UK following their studies.

If you are already in the UK on a Student visa and have recently completed your university course, you may be permitted to start working in the UK under the remaining duration of your Student visa. This is subject to certain conditions.

Thereafter, you may look to transition from your Student visa to a Graduate visa. A Graduate visa is valid for 2 years if you have completed a qualifying UK Bachelor’s or Master’s degree, or 3 years if you have completed a qualifying UK PhD. This visa allows you to work full time in the UK in any job role. However, it does not count towards indefinite leave to remain (settlement) in the UK.

You could also switch from a Student visa into a Skilled Worker visa. This visa has to be sponsored  by the employer, so the business will have to have a sponsor licence granted by the UK authorities. This type of visa has several eligibility requirements, which need to be met in relation to salary, skill level and English language ability. The Skilled Worker visa can lead to indefinite leave to remain in the UK after 5 years.

If you have completed your university studies outside of the UK, you might instead be eligible for a High Potential Individual visa. The High Potential Individual visa is available to those who have been awarded a qualifying non-UK university degree in the last 5 years.

How can Gherson help?

Gherson’s Immigration Team is highly experienced in advising graduates on their options for remaining or relocating to the UK. Please do not hesitate to contact us for advice, send us an e-mail, or, alternatively, follow us on TwitterFacebook, or LinkedIn to stay-up-to-date.

The information in this blog is for general information purposes only and does not purport to be comprehensive or to provide legal advice. Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information and law is current as of the date of publication it should be stressed that, due to the passage of time, this does not necessarily reflect the present legal position. Gherson accepts no responsibility for loss which may arise from accessing or reliance on information contained in this blog. For formal advice on the current law please don’t hesitate to contact Gherson. Legal advice is only provided pursuant to a written agreement, identified as such, and signed by the client and by or on behalf of Gherson.

©Gherson 2022