Skilled Worker Sponsor Licence

Our team of expert corporate immigration specialists have vast experience in helping businesses and organisations of all sizes to successfully apply for Skilled Worker Licences.

Having worked with the Home Office, we understand how carefully the UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI) will scrutinise your application for a Skilled Worker Licence.

Skilled Worker Sponsor Licence

If they deem that you have not met the eligibility criteria, or if any of the requirements regarding the process or documentation have not been met, the application can be refused.  Our team will work diligently with you to ensure that your applications are successful.

What is a Skilled Worker Sponsor Licence?

The Licence was previously known as a Tier 2 (General) Licence. If your organisation or business held a Tier 2 (General) Sponsor Licence on 1 December 2020 this would automatically have been converted to a Skilled Worker Sponsor Licence.

The Licence is one of several routes designed to allow UK employers to recruit talent from overseas.  It is the main route to long-term employment.

It allows an individual to work for you in a particular type of role for up to 5 years.  This can be extended. To move to another employer in the UK, or to change the type of role that the individual carries out for you, the individual will need to apply for a new visa.

Once your organisation has been granted a licence you will be permitted to recruit and sponsor potentially any number of non-UK nationals under the route.

Is my organisation eligible for a Sponsor Licence?

Before applying for the licence, you must ensure that your business or organisation is eligible.  You must be able to show that:

  • You are a legally operating UK organisation;
  • You have a genuine need for a Skilled Worker Sponsor Licence; and
  • You understand fully what your duties and responsibilities as a sponsor will be and have appropriate HR systems and processes in place to meet them.

To demonstrate that your organisation has a real need for a Sponsor Licence you must either submit evidence that you have a genuine vacancy, potentially with a suitable candidate identified who requires sponsorship, or evidence of your organisation’s likely future need to recruit individuals to jobs that meet the Skilled Worker criteria.

Who can I sponsor?

Under the scheme, it is only possible to sponsor someone if:

  • The job that they will be doing is sufficiently skilled: to RQF Level 3;
  • You will be paying them a sufficient salary: at least £10.10 per hour, and £20,480 annually, but often more than this depending on the type of job they will be doing.

In addition the applicant must be able to show that they have a certain level of proficiency in the English Language.

If you believe that you are eligible and in genuine need of a Skilled Worker Licence, or want to know more about us and our Corporate Immigration services please contact a member of the team who can answer any questions and guide you through the process.

Our Experts


View All

Skilled Worker Visa change of employer – what to do?

If you are in the UK as a Skilled Worker…

Read More

If you are in the UK as a Skilled Worker migrant but are in the process of changing employer or changing jobs within your current employer and your new job now falls outside your current occupation code, you will be required to submit a fresh Permission to Remain application as a Skilled Worker.

The employer must have a valid sponsor licence and will need to issue you with a new CoS.

Can I get a Skilled Worker visa extension after 5 years?

As a Skilled Worker, provided you continue to meet the…

Read More

As a Skilled Worker, provided you continue to meet the relevant requirements and your employer still require you for your role in the UK, you will be permitted to extend your leave beyond 5 years.

Can I switch from a dependant’s visa to a Skilled Worker visa?

Yes, if you are a dependant and you are offered…

Read More

Yes, if you are a dependant and you are offered a job by a UK employer who has a valid sponsor licence and are prepared to sponsor your application, you may apply to switch your visa to Skilled Worker visa.

Please note that if the individual is a Parent of a Child Student, they will not be able to switch in country to the Skilled Worker route.


Contact us using our contact form by selecting a service from the drop down list below.