Overseas Domestic Worker Visa

Our immigration team has extensive experience of preparing successful Overseas Domestic Worker applications. Having worked with the Home Office, we understand how carefully they will assess every application and if they deem that you do not meet the eligibility criteria, or if any of the requirements regarding the process or documentation have not been met, the application can be refused.

Our team will work diligently to ensure that your applications are successful.

Overseas Domestic Worker Visa

What is the Overseas Domestic Worker visa?

The visa allows employers who are normally resident outside the UK to bring their domestic staff with them to the UK for up to a maximum of six months.

Do my worker qualify for this visa?

In order to obtain an Overseas Domestic Worker visa for your domestic staff, you must demonstrate that:

  • Your domestic worker is aged 19 or over on the date of application;
  • Your domestic worker has been employed as a domestic worker and living with you or in a property that you use as a home on a regular basis, for at least 12 months immediately before applying;
  • The terms and conditions of your domestic worker’s employment in the UK are confirmed in writing;
  • You genuinely intend to pay your domestic worker at least the UK National Minimum Wage throughout their employment in the UK;
  • You, the employer, must be a British national whose usual place of residence is outside the UK or a non-British national who is travelling to the UK as a Visitor in accordance with the Immigration Rules, and you do not intend to remain in the UK beyond six months;
  • Your domestic worker intends to work for you whilst you are in the UK and will travel to the UK in your company or in the company of your spouse, civil partner of child under the age of 18;
  • You domestic worker will leave the UK within six months of arriving in the UK or at the same time as you, whichever is the earlier, and will not live in the UK for extended periods or make the UK their main home through frequent or successive visits;
  • Your domestic worker can adequately maintain and accommodate themselves without recourse to public funds.

Where can I apply for the visa?

Overseas Domestic Worker visa applications must be made from outside of the UK in a country where the applicant is a citizen or lawfully resident.

How long can my worker stay in the UK? Can the visa be extended?

If the application is approved, your Domestic Worker will be granted a visa for a maximum period of six months.

It is not possible to extend the visa from within the UK.

Does the Overseas Domestic Worker visa lead to settlement in the UK?

This category does not lead to settlement in the UK.

What kind of activities can this visa holder undertake in the UK?

Overseas Domestic Worker visa holders are only permitted to work as a domestic worker in a private household.

An Overseas Domestic Worker visa holder is, however, permitted to change employer without notifying the Home Office within the validity of their visa.

Can the worker bring family members to the UK?

No. Dependants are not permitted on this route.

For more information about us and our personal immigration services, please contact a member of the team who can answer any questions and guide you through the process.


Contact us using our contact form by selecting a service from the drop down list below.