Adult Dependent Relative Visa Joining Family in the UK

At Gherson Solicitors, we understand how difficult it can be to live away from loved ones, particularly when a family member becomes infirm or needs care.

Our team of experienced immigration experts help sensitively guide clients through the process of applying for an Adult Dependent Relative visa.

Adult Dependent Relative visa

For any application to have any prospect of success, you must be able to show that your relative is not able to access the care they need in the country they are living in, even with your financial and practical help. In most cases, you will need to provide evidence to back this up, something that can prove to be difficult at an already emotional time.

Our team has extensive experience of preparing successful applications and will provide you with the expert guidance and assistance that you require during this stressful time.

What is an Adult Dependent Relative visa?

The ADR visa allows adult relatives who require care to come to the UK to live with a qualifying relative who is permanently resident in the UK.

Does my relative qualify for an Adult Dependent Relative visa?

To qualify for an Adult Dependent Relative visa, your relative must be able to demonstrate the following:

  • your relative is 18 or older;
  • they must be a close relative (this includes a parent, grandparent, sibling or child over 18);
  • they need long-term care to do every day personal and household tasks because of their age, illness, disability or condition;
  • the care they need is not available or affordable in the country where they live; and
  • you will be able to support, accommodate and care for your relative in the UK without having to rely on public funds for at least 5 years.

In addition to the above, you must be one of the following:

  • a British or Irish citizen;
  • settled in the UK (e.g. been granted indefinite leave to remain or Settled Status);
  • you are from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein and have been granted Pre-Settled Status;
  • you have refugee status or humanitarian protection in the UK.

How can my relative apply for the visa?

Applications must normally be made in the applicant’s country of nationality or residence. Adult dependent relatives cannot normally switch into this category from within the UK.

What period of leave will be granted?

If your relative’s application is successful, and you are a British Citizen or settled person, they will be granted indefinite leave to enter.

If your relative’s application is successful and you have limited leave, your relative will be granted leave of a duration which will expire at the same time as your leave.

They will then be able to apply for an extension of leave or indefinite leave to remain alongside you when you are eligible to apply.

For more information about us and our personal immigration services, please contact a member of the team who can answer any questions and guide you through the process.


Contact us using our contact form by selecting a service from the drop down list below.