UK Student Visa

The United Kingdom is renowned for its excellence in education, as such it is no surprise that students from around the world apply to the UK’s top-rated establishments.

We often help clients with expert guidance and assistance to successfully apply for their UK Student visa.

UK Student Visa

When do I need to apply for a UK Student visa?

If you are seeking to come to the UK to study for more than six months and do not already hold another category of visa which permits this, you should apply for a UK Student visa.

What are the requirements?

In order to qualify, you will need to show that you:

  • are aged 16 or over (and if under the age of 18 have parental consent to make your application);
  • have been issued with a valid Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (“CAS”) from a Home Office approved school, college or university in the UK;
  • have sufficient funds to cover your tuition fees and living costs in the UK; and
  • can speak, read, write, and understand the English language.

What can’t I do in the UK?

If you are a student on the basis of this visa category in the UK, you are not allowed to:

  • work for more than 20 hours per week during term-time (where you are studying at degree level or higher);
  • be self-employed or engage in business activity;
  • work as a professional sportsperson (including as a sports coach);
  • work as an entertainer; or
  • work in a position which would fill a permanent full-time vacancy.

How long can I stay in the UK?

If you will be studying on a course of 12 months or longer, you will be granted a visa valid for the duration of your course plus up to five months.

Overall, you cannot spend more than five years in the UK if you are 18 or over and your course is at degree level, or more than two years if your course is below degree level.

Can I settle in the UK?

This visa route does not lead to UK permanent residence in itself. However, you may be able to apply for permanent residence once you have lived in the UK for a continuous period of at least 10 years on the basis of multiple UK visas, which could include a Student visa.

For more information about us and our personal immigration services, please contact a member of the team who can answer any questions and guide you through the process.


View All

I am planning to come to London for six months on a university student exchange programme. Will my student visa allow me to also work part-time?

If you are entering the UK on a short term…

Read More

If you are entering the UK on a short term student visa, you should not intend to take any paid or unpaid employment (other than as an elective which meets specific provisions of the UK immigration rules e.g. where medicine, veterinary medicine and science, or dentistry is your principal course of study). 

You would not be allowed to undertake any work placement or work experience in the UK. You would also not be permitted to be self-employed or be involved in any business activity or any professional activity in the UK

Switching from Student Visa to Skilled Worker – is it possible?

If you hold valid leave within the UK as a…

Read More

If you hold valid leave within the UK as a Student or even under the Graduate visa route and a sponsored employer offers you a role that meets the requirements of a Skilled Worker visa, you may be eligible to switch in country.

Can I switch from a dependant’s visa to a Skilled Worker visa?

Yes, if you are a dependant and you are offered…

Read More

Yes, if you are a dependant and you are offered a job by a UK employer who has a valid sponsor licence and are prepared to sponsor your application, you may apply to switch your visa to Skilled Worker visa.

Please note that if the individual is a Parent of a Child Student, they will not be able to switch in country to the Skilled Worker route.


Contact us using our contact form by selecting a service from the drop down list below.