Spouse visas Joining Family in the UK

We know how carefully the Home Office assesses every application under the Spouse visa category. As such, if you do not meet the eligibility criteria, or if any of the requirements regarding the process or documentation have not been met, the application can be refused.

Spouse Visa

Our team has extensive experience of preparing spouse visa applications thoroughly, in order to achieve a successful outcome. We will provide you with all the expert guidance and assistance that you require throughout the process to ensure a smooth and successful outcome.

What is a UK spouse visa?

A Spouse visa is a UK immigration category which allows the partner of a British citizen or a settled person (i.e. someone who has indefinite leave to remain in the UK) to live with their spouse in the UK. The category also allows civil partners and unmarried partners of British citizens and those with indefinite leave to remain to live with their partners in the UK.

Do I qualify for a spouse visa?

To enter or remain in the UK as the partner of a British citizen or settled person, you must be able to demonstrate the following:

  • you and your partner are 18 or older;
  • you are in a genuine and subsisting relationship;
  • you meet the financial requirements;
  • you meet the English language requirement; and
  • you and your partner intend to live together permanently in the UK.

How can I meet the visa financial requirements?

In most cases, you must demonstrate that you or your partner have an annual income of at least £18,600, or that you and/or your partner have savings of at least £62,500. It is also possible, in certain circumstances, to combine income with savings.

You, the applicant, can only rely on your own income if you are living and working in the UK lawfully. If you are applying for the visa from overseas, you will not be able to rely on your own income.

Additional rules apply where you or your partner are relying on income generated in a self-employed capacity.

Where non-British dependent children are applying for visas alongside you, the financial requirement increases with each child applying.

How do I apply for a spouse visa?

Applications must normally be made in your country of nationality or residence. You may also be able to apply to switch into the Spouse category from within the UK, provided you do not hold leave as a visitor.

What period of leave will I be given? Can I extend my visa?

If your application is approved, you will be issued with a spouse visa which will be valid for 30 months (2.5 years).

At the end of this period, you can apply to extend your leave as a spouse for a further 30 months.

To extend your visa, you will need to meet the extension criteria, which includes demonstrating that you and your partner continue to be in a genuine and subsisting relationship, and you continue to meet the financial requirements.

What kind of activities can I undertake in the UK as a Spouse visa holder?

Spouse visa holders are permitted to work in the UK without restriction.

You are also permitted to study in the UK, subject to certain conditions.

How quickly can I become settled in the UK?

You may become eligible to apply for indefinite leave to remain in the UK (also known as settlement) after five years’ continuous residence in the UK as a spouse visa holder.

For more information about us and our personal immigration services, please contact a member of the team who can answer any questions and guide you through the process.


View All

How do I apply for a dependant’s visa?

A Skilled Worker can apply to either bring their dependent…

Read More

A Skilled Worker can apply to either bring their dependent spouse/partner and children under the age of 18 with them to the UK or such dependants can join the Skilled Worker in the UK at a later stage, provided they satisfy certain requirements.

The applications must be submitted online from a country of which they are a national or where they are usually resident.


Contact us using our contact form by selecting a service from the drop down list below.