Skip to main content


Please note we are not instructed by the Kier Group, or Kier LTD. If you have been asked to contact us in order to secure work with this organisation, please exercise extreme caution.

Contact Us

For advice on immigration,
nationality or human rights,
please contact us now.

Click here to subscribe to weekly updates for our news and blogs.

How will divorce or separation affect my visa status?

Posted by: Gherson Immigration

I’m getting divorced or separating from my partner and my visa is based on my relationship

How do I update the Home Office?

If you are living in the UK as a dependant on your partner’s visa, or as a spouse or partner on a family visa, your visa status could be impacted if you separate or divorce. Your visa may also be based on your relationship if you have a family permit.

If you are separating or divorcing, you and your partner will need to notify the Home Office; if you fail to do so, this may affect your immigration record and any visa applications you make in the future.

Whom do I contact?

How will divorce or separation affect my visa status?You will need to notify the Home Office. You should send an email to:

If you do not have access to email, you can post a letter to:

UK Visas and Immigration


Status Review Unit

7th Floor

The Capital

New Hall Place

Liverpool, L3 9PP

Whether you notify the Home Office by email or by mail, you will need to sign and include the relevant form, depending on your circumstances.

The relevant form will be either a public statement or a consent form, depending on whether you consent for the Home Office to disclose certain details to your former partner. Gherson is able to assist you with notifying the Home Office if your relationship breaks down.

When do I contact the Home Office?

You should inform the Home Office as soon as your relationship has broken down. You should not wait until the expiry of your current visa. You will also want to obtain specialist advice with respect to how the divorce or separation will affect your immigration status.

What happens after I contact the Home Office?

Once you inform the Home Office of your separation or divorce, you may then be required to either leave the UK or apply for permission to stay in the UK in a different immigration category.

If you wish to stay in the UK, it is worth getting help from a specialist immigration adviser who can advise you on your individual circumstances and help you understand the potential routes that may be an option for you.

Gherson has extensive experience in all aspects of UK immigration law. If you have any queries relating to the blogs published, or are interested in talking to us about your specific circumstances, please do not hesitate to contact us for advice, send us an e-mail, or alternatively, follow us on TwitterFacebook, or LinkedIn to stay-up-to-date.


The information in this blog is for general information purposes only and does not purport to be comprehensive or to provide legal advice. Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information and law is current as of the date of publication it should be stressed that, due to the passage of time, this does not necessarily reflect the present legal position. Gherson accepts no responsibility for loss which may arise from accessing or reliance on information contained in this blog. For formal advice on the current law please do not hesitate to contact Gherson. Legal advice is only provided pursuant to a written agreement, identified as such, and signed by the client and by or on behalf of Gherson.

©Gherson 2021

Contact Us

For advice on immigration, nationality, extradition or human rights, please contact us now.

Contact Us