I Have Been Offered A Place At A UK University – Can I Bring My Partner And/Or Children To The UK?

11 Jun 2019, 07 mins ago

Tier 4 (General) Students who have successfully applied for a full-time course at a UK university may be eligible to bring their non-EEA dependants to the UK for the duration of their studies. The current immigration rules allow for partners and children (under 18) to join a Tier 4 (General) Student in specified circumstances, including where:

  • the Tier 4 (General) applicant is a government sponsored student who has been offered a course of study for 6 months or longer;
  • the Tier 4 (General) applicant is sponsored by a recognised higher education institution on a post-graduate level course or above for 9 months or longer.


In order to make a successful application, one of the requirements is that each dependant must have a specified amount of money available to them. This is also known as the ‘maintenance requirement’. The amount of money required depends on a number of factors including:

  • the length of the student’s course;
  • whether they are studying inside or outside London; and
  • whether the student is currently studying or has just finished their course.


Documentary evidence must be provided to show that the specified amount of funds is available for the duration of the Tier 4 (General) applicant’s grant of leave up to a maximum of 9 months. At the time of writing, the specified amount is:

  • £845 per month for each dependant (for courses based in London);
  • £680 per month for each dependant (for courses based outside London).


It is important to note that the above maintenance requirement is separate and in addition to any monthly maintenance amount specified for the Tier 4 (General) applicant themselves.

In most cases, dependants of Tier 4 (General) Students should apply for entry clearance or leave to remain in the UK at the same time as the student. However, it may be possible for dependants to apply at a later date. Unfortunately, those who have been offered a place to study in the UK for 6 months (or less) or to study part-time are not currently permitted to bring their partners and/or children with them to the UK.

Gherson assists with the full range of student visa applications under the Immigration Rules. Should you have any questions or queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.


The information in this blog is for general information purposes only and does not purport to be comprehensive or to provide legal advice. Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information and law is current as of the date of publication it should be stressed that, due to the passage of time, this does not necessarily reflect the present legal position. Gherson accepts no responsibility for loss which may arise from accessing or reliance on information contained in this blog. For formal advice on the current law please don’t hesitate to contact Gherson. Legal advice is only provided pursuant to a written agreement, identified as such, and signed by the client and by or on behalf of Gherson.

©Gherson 2019