Summer Holidays Fast Approaching: Would You Like To Do An Internship In The UK?

31 May 2019, 58 mins ago

The UK immigration rules allow temporary workers to come to the UK for work experience, training, to participate in an Overseas Government Language Programme, complete research or complete a fellowship through one of the authorised schemes. 

This visa category is known as the Tier 5 (Government Authorised Exchange) scheme. It is an ideal visa for those coming to the UK to share knowledge and experience.

To obtain this type of visa, you must have sufficient funds to support yourself and obtain a Certificate of Sponsorship from one of the authorised schemes, a higher education institution or a government agency. There are certain requirements that you, the approved scheme and the company that you may intern with need to meet before this type of visa can be approved.

If you are already in the UK, you can only switch to this category from a Tier 4 (General) student visa.

You can stay in the UK on this visa for up to 12 or 24 months depending on the scheme you have applied for. In addition to carrying out the duties you are sponsored to undertake, you are also able to work in a second job for up to 20 hours a week and bring certain family members with you to the UK. 

If you are currently studying abroad or about to graduate overseas or in the UK and would like to experience working and living in the UK for a short period then this category may provide the ideal opportunity, provide you meet the relevant requirements. 

Gherson has extensive experience dealing with employment matters requiring work visas. Should you have any questions or queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.


The information in this blog is for general information purposes only and does not purport to be comprehensive or to provide legal advice. Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information and law is current as of the date of publication it should be stressed that, due to the passage of time, this does not necessarily reflect the present legal position. Gherson accepts no responsibility for loss which may arise from accessing or reliance on information contained in this blog. For formal advice on the current law please don’t hesitate to contact Gherson. Legal advice is only provided pursuant to a written agreement, identified as such, and signed by the client and by or on behalf of Gherson.

©Gherson 2019