Options To Work In The UK

02 Jan 2019, 00 mins ago

What are the current options available to a non-EEA citizen if they want to work in the UK? Here is a brief overview.


Tier 2 (General) Migrants

The Tier 2 (General) route is the main immigration route for people applying to work in the UK and is designed for skilled workers who have a job offer from a UK employer who has usually satisfied the Resident Labour Market Test. This route requires the applicant to have found a company willing to sponsor them in the UK. The applicant will also have to meet English language requirements.


Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) Migrants

The Tier 2 (ICT) visa route is for overseas employers who have offered their employees a temporary role in their UK branch. This is in order to transfer their skills and knowledge to and from the employer’s UK workforce.


Tier 5 (Youth Mobility)

The Tier 5 (Youth Mobility) visa is a scheme for young people aged 18-30 from certain countries and territories including Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand and others, who want to live and experience life in the UK for up to two years. In order to apply for this visa, the applicant must also have a minimum required level of savings.


Tier 5 (Government Authorised Exchange)

The Tier 5 (Government Authorised Exchange) route is a visa for someone that wants to come to the UK for up to a year in most cases for paid work experience or internship from a UK company or a fellowship through an approved government authorised exchange scheme. In order to apply for this visa, the applicant must have a sponsor.


UK Ancestry

Applicants can apply for a UK Ancestry visa if they are a Commonwealth citizen and applying from outside the UK. The applicant also has to be able to prove that one of their grandparents was born in the UK and that they are able and planning to work in the UK.


Tier 1 (Entrepreneur)

The Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) visa is for applicants who want to set up or run a business in the UK and meet certain eligibility requirements, including having access to at least £200,000.00 in investment funds. In some cases you may only need to evidence access to £50,000.00 and all applicants have to meet English language requirements.


Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent)

Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visas are for non-EEA applicants who have been endorsed in their field of expertise. The threshold to obtain a Tier 1 (Exceptional Talent) visa is very high. The applicant must be very talented and be well regarded in the industry.


Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur)

A Tier 1 (Graduate Entrepreneur) visa is for applicants who are UK graduates and who have been officially endorsed as having a genuine and credible business idea and who have met the English language requirement.


Representative of an Overseas Business

A Representative of an Overseas Business visa is for candidates who are looking to set up and establish the UK branch or subsidiary of an overseas business and who have met the English language requirement.


It is important to note that for all these UK visa routes there are specific eligibility requirements which applicants must meet and that without satisfying the requirements the entry clearance (visa) applications are likely to be refused. These eligibility requirements can include minimum salary thresholds, savings and maintenance funds. All applicants for these visa routes must also be from outside the EEA and Switzerland.


Gherson has extensive experience in assisting with all categories of work-related immigration matters. Should you require assistance or advice in respect of any of the above application routes, please do not hesitate to contact us.



The information in this blog is for general information purposes only and does not purport to be comprehensive or to provide legal advice. Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information and law is current as of the date of publication it should be stressed that, due to the passage of time, this does not necessarily reflect the present legal position. Gherson accepts no responsibility for loss which may arise from accessing or reliance on information contained in this blog. For formal advice on the current law please don’t hesitate to contact Gherson. Legal advice is only provided pursuant to a written agreement, identified as such, and signed by the client and by or on behalf of Gherson.

©Gherson 2019