Skip to main content


Please note we are not instructed by the Kier Group, or Kier LTD. If you have been asked to contact us in order to secure work with this organisation, please exercise extreme caution.

Immigration banner image - Airport

Contact Us

For advice on immigration,
nationality or human rights,
please contact us now.

Click here to subscribe to weekly updates for our news and blogs.

Family Members of Tier 4 Migrants

Tier 4 (General) migrants can only have their migrant families join them in the UK if they are studying on a course that meets certain Home Office requirements. The migrant must be studying on a specified course that is sponsored by a higher education institution and that lasts 9 months or more. Alternatively the application can succeed where the applicant is a new government sponsored student on a course that lasts longer than 6 months or the migrant is a Doctorate Extension Scheme visa holder.

The dependant must be the spouse, unmarried partner or civil partner of the student or a child under the age of 18.

The Home Office has stringent requirements on the level of savings that each dependant must have available to them. The amount depends on the length of the course, the location of the course and where the application is made from.




Can my spouse and I join our children in the UK as the parents of a Tier 4 (Child) visa holder?

Only one parent is permitted to travel to the UK to care for a Tier 4 (Child) visa holder. This applies even where more than one child will study in the UK in this category. 

What are the required documents for a parent of a Tier 4 (Child) visa application?

A parent of a Tier 4 (Child) will need to have a passport or travel ID, evidence of sufficient funds and in some cases TB test results. The parent will also need to show that they intend to return to their country of origin, such as owning a residence, carer’s responsibilities for other relatives and return flight arrangements.  

How long can I stay as the parent of a Tier 4 (Child) visa holder?

You can be in the UK as a parent of a Tier 4 (Child) visa holder until the child reaches the age of 12. After this, you will have to leave the UK and alternative care arrangements will have to be made.

Your visa will usually be granted for 6 or 12 months at a time, and it can be extended within the UK.

Can I work to support myself and my child as the parent of a Tier 4 (Child) visa holder?

No, you are not permitted to work or study whilst in the UK as a parent of a Tier 4 (Child) student and will be required to evidence your ability to maintain yourself without working in advance. 

Contact Us

For advice on immigration, nationality, extradition or human rights, please contact us now.

Contact Us