Skip to main content


Important information for the end of the Brexit Transition Period and the EU Settlement Scheme, if you or your close family members are an EU / EEA Citizen

Contact Us

For advice on immigration,
nationality or human rights,
please contact us now.

Click here to subscribe to weekly updates for our news and blogs.

Applying For An Unmarried/Same-Sex Partner Visa? The Basics You Need To Know

Posted by: Gherson Immigration

Are you in a genuine and subsisting relationship with your British or settled partner but neither married nor in a civil partnership? Do you wish to join them in the UK or make the UK your home?

The Unmarried Partner visa route gives long-term partners who reside together in a relationship akin to marriage the opportunity to stay in the UK for 30 months, with an option to extend the visa at the end of this period for a further 30 months. This route is available to both unmarried and same-sex partners. The Unmarried Partner route can lead to settlement after 5 years and subsequently British citizenship, if further requirements are satisfied.

It is important to take account of the financial requirements for this category, along with the other criteria required for an Entry Clearance or Leave to Remain application. The key issues to consider before making an application relate to the following criteria:

  • Relationship must be genuine and subsisting, meaning that the applicant and the settled person have resided together in a relationship for at least the last 2 years before the application and do not have an intention of ending it.
  • The financial requirements must be satisfied
  • There is adequate accommodation for both the applicant and the settled person in the UK which will not be overcrowded
  • The applicant meets the knowledge of the English language requirement

If you are already in the UK and hold valid leave, you may be eligible to switch into the Unmarried Partner route, as long as you satisfy the above requirements and are not in the UK as a visitor.

If you would like any advice or assistance in respect of the Unmarried Partner category, please do not hesitate to contact us.

The information in this blog is for general information purposes only and does not purport to be comprehensive or to provide legal advice. Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information and law is current as of the date of publication it should be stressed that, due to the passage of time, this does not necessarily reflect the present legal position. Gherson accepts no responsibility for loss which may arise from accessing or reliance on information contained in this blog. For formal advice on the current law please don’t hesitate to contact Gherson. Legal advice is only provided pursuant to a written agreement, identified as such, and signed by the client and by or on behalf of Gherson.

©Gherson 2019

Contact Us

For advice on immigration, nationality, extradition or human rights, please contact us now.

Contact Us