Skip to main content


Important information for the end of the Brexit Transition Period and the EU Settlement Scheme, if you or your close family members are an EU / EEA Citizen

Contact Us

For advice on immigration,
nationality or human rights,
please contact us now.

Click here to subscribe to weekly updates for our news and blogs.

Police Registration – A Legal Minefield

Posted by: Gherson Immigration

Part 10 of the Immigration Rules requires foreign nationals over the age of 16 from specific countries to register with the police if their visa is issued for longer than six months. Those who are required to register, must go to the police within seven days of arriving in the UK or of obtaining their BRP cards.

You must register with the local police station in your area, and if you live in an area of London which is covered by the Metropolitan Police, you must register your details with the Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO).

It is vital that you inform the police if any of the information recorded on your police registration certificate changes. This includes changes in name, address, nationality, employment and passport or identity card details. It is also imperative that the police registration certificate is updated after the issue of any new BRP card. Please note that the above-listed circumstances are not exhaustive.

Nationalities that usually need to register

Nationals of the following countries are usually required to register their details with the police: Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Bolivia, Brazil, China, Colombia, Cuba, Egypt, Georgia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Libya, Moldova, Morocco, North Korea, Oman, Palestine, Peru, Qatar, Russian Federation, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Ukraine, Uzbekistan and Yemen. (Please note that this list changes and is updated from time to time. It cannot therefore be regarded as exhaustive or accurate and you must check the up-to-date list at the relevant time).

You will not need to register if you have dual nationality with one of the listed countries and another country which is not on the list.

You may also need to register if:

  • You are stateless, or
  • If you hold a non-national travel document.


Who is exempt from registering with the police

You will not be required to register with the police if you:

  • Have permanent residence (also known as Indefinite Leave to Remain) in the UK;
  • Are an EEA citizen, or the family member of an EEA citizen and have permission to reside in the UK in this capacity;
  • Are a seasonal agricultural worker;
  • Are a Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) sponsored by an overseas government or servant in diplomatic household;
  • Are a Tier 2 (Minister of Religion);
  • Are the spouse of a British national or a person settled in the UK;
  • Are the Parent of a Tier 4 (Child) Student;
  • Have refugee status.


Consequences of not registering

If you are required to register with the police and you do not do so or you do not update your Police Registration Certificate, you will be in breach of your visa conditions and your visa could be curtailed or you could be refused future visas. If you are unsure whether or not you need to register, please contact us for advice. 

If you have failed to register in the past or during your most recent grant of leave, please contact us for advice. 


Due to the second lockdown, many police stations including the OVRO have suspended operations and the earliest bookable appointment at the time of writing is in May 2021. Please note that you will not be prejudiced as a result of COVID-19 related delays on the basis that you book and attend the earliest appointment available in order to register or update any change in your circumstances. 


The information in this blog is for general information purposes only and does not purport to be comprehensive or to provide legal advice. Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information and law is current as of the date of publication it should be stressed that, due to the passage of time, this does not necessarily reflect the present legal position. Gherson accepts no responsibility for loss which may arise from accessing or reliance on information contained in this blog. For formal advice on the current law please don’t hesitate to contact Gherson. Legal advice is only provided pursuant to a written agreement, identified as such, and signed by the client and by or on behalf of Gherson.

©Gherson 2020

Contact Us

For advice on immigration, nationality, extradition or human rights, please contact us now.

Contact Us