Skip to main content


Please note we are not instructed by the Kier Group, or Kier LTD. If you have been asked to contact us in order to secure work with this organisation, please exercise extreme caution.

Contact Us

For advice on immigration,
nationality or human rights,
please contact us now.

Click here to subscribe to weekly updates for our news and blogs.

How do I travel to the UK from the Common Travel Area?

Posted by: Gherson Immigration

On 4 October 2021, the Home Office released updated guidance on the documents required to travel to the UK from the Common Travel Area (CTA), namely Ireland, the Isle of Man, Guernsey and Jersey.

You will not always go through UK immigration control when travelling to the UK from somewhere else in the CTA.

If you are however, required to pass through UK immigration control, the documents which you will be required to present in order to gain admission to the UK from elsewhere in the CTA will vary depending on your nationality.

British or Irish citizen

How do I travel to the UK from the Common Travel Area? If you are a British or Irish citizen, you will not be required to present a valid passport to UK immigration control however, you may be asked to show a document that confirms your identity and nationality. Home Office guidance provides the following non-exhaustive list of potential such documents:

  • A valid original passport or passport card (if you are Irish)
  • A clear, legible copy of your passport or passport card
  • An expired original passport or passport card
  • Evidence of having obtained British or Irish citizenship, such as a naturalisation certificate

EEA or Swiss national

If you are an EEA or Swiss national, you may be asked to show your valid, original EEA passport or valid, original identity card to enter the UK. You cannot however, use an EEA identity card to enter the UK, and can only use a valid passport, unless you:

  • Have Settled or Pre-Settled Status under the EU Settlement Scheme (or have a pending application other than as a joining family member and have been issued with Home Office confirmation that the application is valid)
  • Have an EU Settlement Scheme family permit
  • Have a Frontier Worker permit
  • Are an S2 Healthcare Visitor
  • Are a Swiss national and have a Service Provider from Switzerland visa

Non-EEA national

If you are a non-EEA national, you will be required to present your valid, original passport (or other travel document) and proof of your UK immigration permission, such as the visa endorsement contained in your passport, a valid BRP or valid BRC.

How Gherson can assist

Gherson has extensive experience in all aspects of UK immigration law. If you have any queries relating to the blogs published, or are interested in talking to us about your specific circumstances, please do not hesitate to contact us for advice, send us an e-mail, or alternatively, follow us on TwitterFacebook, or LinkedIn to stay-up-to-date.


The information in this blog is for general information purposes only and does not purport to be comprehensive or to provide legal advice. Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information and law is current as of the date of publication it should be stressed that, due to the passage of time, this does not necessarily reflect the present legal position. Gherson accepts no responsibility for loss which may arise from accessing or reliance on information contained in this blog. For formal advice on the current law please don’t hesitate to contact Gherson. Legal advice is only provided pursuant to a written agreement, identified as such, and signed by the client and by or on behalf of Gherson.

©Gherson 2021

Contact Us

For advice on immigration, nationality, extradition or human rights, please contact us now.

Contact Us