How can I bring my unmarried partner to the UK?

14 Dec 2022, 54 mins ago

If you are a British citizen, or Settled in the UK, your unmarried partner may be able to come to the UK on an Appendix FM Partner visa.

This is a UK immigration route for people seeking to enter or remain in the UK on the basis of their family life with their partner.

To apply for this type of visa you and your partner would need to meet certain eligibility requirements. Both you and your partner need to be over 18, and as you are not in a marriage or civil partnership, you will need to prove that you have been living together in a relationship for at least 2 years at the date of your application. You can evidence this in the form of documents such as utility bills, tenancy or mortgage agreements, or bank statements that show both of you living at the same address at the same time.

There is a number of other criteria that must be met, including providing proof of knowledge of the English language, and, importantly, evidencing that you and your partner have sufficient income or savings. The rules regarding finances are particularly complex.

This type of visa will allow your partner to stay in the UK for 2 years and 9 months, after this period they will need to apply to extend their visa.

Alternatively, if you are neither a British citizen nor Settled in the UK, but you have a UK visa, your unmarried partner may be able to join you in the UK under your current visa as your dependant. Similarly to the rules under Appendix FM, you will need to prove 2 years of cohabitation with your partner.

How Gherson can assist

Gherson’s Immigration Team are highly experienced in advising on UK visa matters. If you have any questions arising from this blog, please do not hesitate to contact us for advice, send us an e-mail, or, alternatively, follow us on TwitterFacebook, or LinkedIn to stay-up-to-date.

The information in this blog is for general information purposes only and does not purport to be comprehensive or to provide legal advice. Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information and law is current as of the date of publication it should be stressed that, due to the passage of time, this does not necessarily reflect the present legal position. Gherson accepts no responsibility for loss which may arise from accessing or reliance on information contained in this blog. For formal advice on the current law please do not hesitate to contact Gherson. Legal advice is only provided pursuant to a written agreement, identified as such, and signed by the client and by or on behalf of Gherson.

©Gherson 2022