Skip to main content


Important information for the end of the Brexit Transition Period and the EU Settlement Scheme, if you or your close family members are an EU / EEA Citizen

Contact Us

For advice on immigration,
nationality or human rights,
please contact us now.

Click here to subscribe to weekly updates for our news and blogs.

Rights Of Frontier Workers In The UK: New Guidance Released

Posted by: Gherson Immigration

The new ‘Points-Based’ Immigration system will come into effect from January 2021 and will include changes which Frontier Workers will need to be aware of. 

You are a Frontier Worker if you are an EU, EEA or Swiss Citizen, employed or self-employed in the UK, but living elsewhere. Irish Citizens will not need to do anything to continue working in the UK from January 2021. 

Before January 2021

If you are a Frontier Worker before 31 December 2020, you will be able to retain your status, but you will need to apply for a Frontier Worker Permit. As mentioned above, Irish Citizens will not need to apply for a permit, but may do so if they wish. 

If you have previously been a Frontier Worker, you will also be able to retain that status if one of the following applies:

  • You are temporarily unable to work due to illness or an accident; 
  • You were working in the UK but are now involuntary unemployed, and are currently seeking employment in the UK; 
  • You are currently in vocational training whilst unemployed, and the training is related to previous employment; 
  • You are temporarily unable to work due to pregnancy or recent childbirth; or 
  • You are on maternity or paternity leave, and you will return to previous employment or find another job after such leave.

The Government will introduce a Frontier Worker Permit later this year. If you have Frontier Worker Status, you will be eligible to apply. Applications will be free, and you will be able to apply online, from inside or outside the UK. 

After January 2021

Non-British and non-Irish workers who wish to begin employment in the UK whilst residing outside of the UK will need to apply through the UK’s new points-based immigration system.       

Up until July 2021, Frontier Workers who held such status prior to 31 December 2020 will be able to enter the UK using a valid passport or national identity card. After 1 July 2020, you will need to hold a valid Frontier Worker Permit as well as a valid passport or national identity card, in order to enter the UK as a Frontier Worker. 

Gherson has a wealth of experience in dealing with all UK visa and immigration matters. If you have any specific questions or queries in respect of your particular circumstances, please do not hesitate to contact us.

The information in this blog is for general information purposes only and does not purport to be comprehensive or to provide legal advice. Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information and law is current as of the date of publication it should be stressed that, due to the passage of time, this does not necessarily reflect the present legal position. Gherson accepts no responsibility for loss which may arise from accessing or reliance on information contained in this blog. For formal advice on the current law please don’t hesitate to contact Gherson. Legal advice is only provided pursuant to a written agreement, identified as such, and signed by the client and by or on behalf of Gherson.

©Gherson 2020

Contact Us

For advice on immigration, nationality, extradition or human rights, please contact us now.

Contact Us