Skip to main content


Important information for the end of the Brexit Transition Period and the EU Settlement Scheme, if you or your close family members are an EU / EEA Citizen

Contact Us

For advice on immigration,
nationality or human rights,
please contact us now.

Click here to subscribe to weekly updates for our news and blogs.

Do US Citizens Need A Visa To Enter The UK?

Posted by: Gherson Immigration

US citizens wishing to enter the UK must be aware of the relevant immigration and visa requirements. The short answer to the question “do US citizens require a visa to enter the UK?” is no.

If you are planning a trip to the UK for business or pleasure, as long as your intended trip to the UK is less than six months, a visa is not required. However, you must ensure that your current US passport is valid for the duration of your stay, and that it has at least one blank page. Although a visa is not required per se, you may be questioned at the border regarding your intended visit and asked to provide supporting documentation.

A ‘visitor visa’ is not required because the UK distinguishes between visa nationals and non-visa nationals. US citizens are currently categorized as non-visa nationals. While this allows for immediate entry into the UK, US citizens should be aware that a careful review of the endorsement placed in their passport will reveal that employment is prohibited during their stay.

Should you wish to come to the UK for longer than 6 months, whether to work, study, get married, or for a specified reason other than tourism, a visa will be required. Depending on your reason for coming to the UK, you will fall into a specified category, and will subsequently be required to obtain the correct visa before travelling.

Gherson can advise and assist all American nationals seeking UK visas. We deal with all visa categories and can provide specific immigration solutions suited to your individual requirements. Below is a basic structure of the UK visa categories, however this list is not exhaustive. Please contact us should you wish to discuss your situation in detail.


Tier 1 visa:


Representative of an Overseas Business visa:

  • Covers individuals acting as the sole representative of an overseas company.


Representative of Overseas Media visa:

  • Covers overseas media employees who are being posted by their employer on a long-term assignment in the UK.


Tier 2 visa:

  • Covers most long-term skilled workers. Corporate sponsorship from a UK company is required as a prerequisite to applying for this visa.


Tier 4 visa:

  • Includes all international students coming to the UK to attend a course of study, from grade school to post-graduate study. This also includes a parent accompanying their child to UK where that child is enrolled in a UK day school. Most educational institutions will sponsor international students. Acceptance on a course of study is required before an application can be made.


Tier 5 visa:

  • Includes temporary workers (trade in services or seasonal workers), charity workers, volunteers, government authorised exchanges, and religious workers.


Americans who have secured a UK visa and are interested in extending their leave in the UK, or building towards permanent residency, should contact us for advice on residency requirements and application procedures.



The information in this blog is for general information purposes only and does not purport to be comprehensive or to provide legal advice. Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information and law is current as of the date of publication it should be stressed that, due to the passage of time, this does not necessarily reflect the present legal position. Gherson accepts no responsibility for loss which may arise from accessing or reliance on information contained in this blog. For formal advice on the current law please don’t hesitate to contact Gherson. Legal advice is only provided pursuant to a written agreement, identified as such, and signed by the client and by or on behalf of Gherson.

©Gherson 2019


Spencer Bienvenue 

  Spencer Bienvenue

  Paralegal in our General Immigration team



Contact Us

For advice on immigration, nationality, extradition or human rights, please contact us now.

Contact Us