3 top tips for US citizens looking to relocate to the UK

05 Feb 2024, 12 mins ago

If you are a US citizen looking to relocate to the UK, the Skilled Worker, Student and Innovator Founder visas are possible pathways that you might want to consider.

Tip 1: Embark on a professional journey in the UK

The Skilled Worker visa opens the doors to allow you to reside and work in the UK for up to five years, with an option to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain thereafter. Here are some key steps to consider:

  • Your prospective employer plays a crucial role. They must have a UK sponsorship licence and provide a Certificate of Sponsorship (CoS) to support your application.
  • The role you are undertaking must be at or above the minimum skill level. Your prospective employer will assign you an occupation code, ensuring that it aligns with your role’s skill level.
  • The minimum salary threshold varies, based on factors such as the occupation code.
  • You will need to ensure that you meet the English language requirement through the various accepted methods.

Tip 2: Pursuing Education with the Student Visa

Education in the UK’s is widely renowned, and if you are considering doing a degree or a course lasting over six months in the UK, the Student Visa could be your gateway.

  • In order to apply you must be 16 years of age or older, with parental consent if under 18, and obtain a valid Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from an approved UK educational institution.
  • You must also demonstrate sufficient funds for tuition and living costs. Remember, certain work restrictions apply, such as a maximum of 20 hours per week during term-time.
  • The visa duration aligns with your course, plus an additional five months. However, it is important to note that the time you spend in the UK living on a Student Visa does not count towards settlement and does not lead to permanent residence. After completing your studies, if you still wish to remain in the UK, you will need to switch to a different visa.

Tip 3: Innovate Your Way with the Innovator Founder Visa

For entrepreneurial spirits, the Innovator Founder Visa allows you to start a business in the UK.

  • Your business must be new, innovative, viable and scalable. You need the right skills, qualifications and entrepreneurial experience.
  • You will need to pitch your concept to a Home Office-approved endorsing body, secure an endorsement letter, prove your financial capability, meet English language requirements and apply for the visa.
  • You will be permitted to work on your business, study, and even bring your family along. After three years, you can apply for settlement, provided that your business meets the prescribed criteria.

In your quest to relocate to the UK, these visa options pave the way for a smoother transition. Whether it’s work, study or entrepreneurship, the UK welcomes diverse talents from the US with open arms.

How Gherson can assist

Gherson has extensive experience in all aspects of UK immigration law. If you have any questions arising from this blog, please do not hesitate to contact us for advice, send us an e-mail, or, alternatively, follow us on XFacebookInstagram, or LinkedIn to stay-up-to-date.

The information in this blog is for general information purposes only and does not purport to be comprehensive or to provide legal advice. Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information and law is current as of the date of publication it should be stressed that, due to the passage of time, this does not necessarily reflect the present legal position. Gherson accepts no responsibility for loss which may arise from accessing or reliance on information contained in this blog. For formal advice on the current law please do not hesitate to contact Gherson. Legal advice is only provided pursuant to a written agreement, identified as such, and signed by the client and by or on behalf of Gherson.

©Gherson 2024