From 6 August 2021, it is no longer possible to apply for a Chinese passport/travel document from within the UK via the Chinese Embassy’s website.
Individuals who want to apply for a Chinese passport / travel document from within the UK will now need to submit their applications via a mobile application called “the Chinese Consulate (中国领事)”.
How can I apply for a passport / travel document via this App?
- Download the App, create your account using your Chinese mobile phone number and complete the contact details verification process.
You can search for “the Chinese Consulate” App in the Apple App Store, Tencent App Store, Huawei App Store, or Xiaomi App Store by scanning the QR code below:
- Complete the following steps online:
- Fill out your online application form;
- Complete the online identity verification process;
- Select the option, “submitting the required documents and subsequently collecting your new passport/travel document by post”; Unless otherwise instructed, it is very important that you select this option to ensure that your application can be processed.
- Select the option of “paying your application fees by postal money order”; Unless otherwise instructed, it is very important that you select this option to ensure that your application can be processed.
- Submit your application online.
- Wait for your application to be processed by the Chinese Embassy/Consulate. Once your application has been provisionally approved by the Chinese Embassy/Consulate, you will receive notification confirming your application status as “Passport / Travel Document Issuance Pending” (hereafter the “Notification”).
- Organise a Postal Order for payment of the relevant application fees. Please note that you do not need to organise a Postal Order before receiving the above-mentioned Notification.
- Arrange to post the hard-copy documents and the Postal Order for payment of the application fee to the relevant Chinese Embassy.
- Wait for your new passport / travel document to be issued to you.
How Gherson can assist
Gherson has extensive experience in helping clients apply for Chinese visas and passports / travel documents. We continue to closely monitor updates in relation to the application process implemented by the Chinese Embassy in the UK. If you have any queries, or are interested in talking to us about your specific circumstances, please do not hesitate to contact us for advice, send us an e-mail, or alternatively, follow us on Twitter, Facebook, or LinkedIn to stay-up-to-date.
The information in this blog is for general information purposes only and does not purport to be comprehensive or to provide legal advice. Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information and law is current as of the date of publication it should be stressed that, due to the passage of time, this does not necessarily reflect the present legal position. Gherson accepts no responsibility for loss which may arise from accessing or reliance on information contained in this blog. For formal advice on the current law please don’t hesitate to contact Gherson. Legal advice is only provided pursuant to a written agreement, identified as such, and signed by the client and by or on behalf of Gherson.