Skip to main content


Please note we are not instructed by the Kier Group, or Kier LTD. If you have been asked to contact us in order to secure work with this organisation, please exercise extreme caution.

Contact Us

For advice on immigration,
nationality or human rights,
please contact us now.

Click here to subscribe to weekly updates for our news and blogs.

Applying for a Chinese passport or travel document in the UK – Important Q&A

Posted by: Gherson Immigration

Applying for a Chinese passport or travel document in the UK – Important Q&A 

Q 1: What is the Chinese mobile passport app?

A: Individuals who need to apply for a Chinese passport / travel document from within the UK must now submit their applications via a mobile application called “the Chinese Consulate (中国领事)”. Please see our previous blog here for further information.

Q 2: Who cannot apply for a passport/travel document via this App? 

A: Please note that Chinese residents in Hong Kong, Macao and Taiwan who do not hold a "Mainland Travel Permit for Hong Kong and Macao Residents" and/or a "Mainland Travel Permit for Taiwan Residents" applying for travel documents, as well as official passport holders who want to renew their official passports, cannot submit their applications via the mobile application at present. They must instead book an appointment at the nearest Chinese Embassy via phone or email.

Q 3: Can I use a foreign mobile number to create a new account for the Chinese Consulate App?

A: No. If you do not have a valid Chinese mobile number, you can either use your email address to create an account or you can use an existing account created by someone else to submit your application.

Q 4: What documents should I prepare before starting an online application form?

Please note that in order to complete your online application form, you will need to have the following documents available in digital format, ready for uploading onto the online portal before you start the online application form:

  1. A digital passport photo of you taken within 6 months prior to the date of application;
  2. A copy of the information page of your current passport/travel document with the photo, and the remarked page (if applicable);
  3. An "Explanation Letter re Lost, Stolen and Damaged Passport/Travel Document" (if applicable);
  4. For minor applicants under the age of 16, a copy of their parents’/legal guardian’s passports/other identity documents, materials proving legal guardianship, as well as the signed “Declaration of Consent".

How Gherson can assist

Gherson has extensive experience in helping clients with Chinese visa applications and passports/travel document applications. We continue to closely monitor updates in relation to application processes implemented by the Chinese Embassy in the UK.

If you have any queries, or are interested in talking to us about your specific circumstances, please do not hesitate to contact us for advice, send us an e-mail, or alternatively, follow us on TwitterFacebook, or LinkedIn to stay-up-to-date.

The information in this blog is for general information purposes only and does not purport to be comprehensive or to provide legal advice. Whilst every effort is made to ensure the information and law is current as of the date of publication it should be stressed that, due to the passage of time, this does not necessarily reflect the present legal position. Gherson accepts no responsibility for loss which may arise from accessing or reliance on information contained in this blog. For formal advice on the current law please don’t hesitate to contact Gherson. Legal advice is only provided pursuant to a written agreement, identified as such, and signed by the client and by or on behalf of Gherson.

©Gherson 2021

Contact Us

For advice on immigration, nationality, extradition or human rights, please contact us now.

Contact Us